Psychiatric Nursing: Assessment, Care Plans, and Medications
, 9th Edition is the most complete and easy-to-use resource on how to develop practical, individualized plans of care for psychiatric and mental health patients.
It’s really two books in one! The first half provides the diagnostic information needed to create a care plan; the second half covers the safe prescription and administration of psychotropic medications. And, the concepts can be applied to a variety of healthcare settings…from in-patient hospitalization through the outpatient clinic…to home health and private practice.
Completely revised and updated throughout, the 9th Edition reflects all of the new knowledge and new medications in the field, including the DSM-5, and all of today’s new psychotropic medications.
- Index of Client Behaviors with page numbers listed on inside covers.
- Concept Mapping and the use of Concept Care Map Plans introduced in Chapter 1.
- Organized by DSM-5 and diagnoses.
- Nursing diagnoses and interventions include the definition, possible etiologies ("Related to ..."), defining characteristics ("Evidenced by ..."), objectives broken down to show long- and short-term goals, interventions with selected rationales, and desired patient outcomes/discharge criteria.
- Each psychiatric disorder lists background assessment data, predisposing factors, symptomatology, and nursing diagnoses and nursing interventions commonly associated with the disorder.
- Unit on psychotropic drug classifications covers anti-anxiety agents, antidepressants, mood stabilizing agents, antipsychotics, antiparkinsonian drugs, sedative hypnotics, and agents for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
- Indications, route, and dosage listed for individual drugs as well as for classifications.
New To This Edition
- UPDATED & REVISED! All content, thoroughly revised and updated, reflects the education and practice of nursing today.
- UPDATED! Coverage of psychiatric disorders reflects the DSM-5.
- EXPANDED & UPDATED! Section on psychotropic medications includes the addition of medications available since the last edition and the deletion of those discontinued.
- NEW! New content on factitious disorder • Munchhausen syndrome • working with military families.
- EXPANDED! More communication interventions in the care plans to reinforce the emphasis on therapeutic communication.
- NEW! Two additional rating scales in the appendix…The Hamilton Depression Rating Scale and The Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale.
Awarded second place in the 2015 AJN Book of the Year Award in the Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing category
ISBN 10: 0803642377
ISBN 13: 978-0803642379