Reflects completely revised and thoroughly researched “state of the art” material that will enable the practitioner to elevate his/her level of perioperative patient care to new standards of excellence. This latest update is based on the 3rd
edition with additional features, enhanced functionality and ongoing updates!
Comprehensive patient care is addressed, including psychological care of the patient in surgery, safety measures for the patient and perioperative personnel, the written record of intra-, pre- and postoperative care, The Joint Commission’s Universal Protocol and AORN’s standards and recommended practices, (including correct site and laterality considerations).
This invaluable resource presents more than 500 surgical procedures! Each surgical procedure includes a definition, a discussion, and a description of each procedure, as well as notes on preparation of the patient and safe positioning practices, skin preparation, draping techniques, equipment, instrumentation, supplies, and Special Notes pertinent to patient care for each procedure.
- Addresses the roles of the registered nurse and the surgical technologist in the perioperative environment.
- Covers more than 500 surgical procedures, including more than 100 new and significantly amended procedures.
- Features extensive coverage of minimal access surgery, including endoscopic procedures for multiple specialties, microsurgical techniques, and instrumentation for these procedures.
- New sections on various dental and orthognathic procedures and intraoperative radiotherapy are presented.
- Includes a Surgical Assessment and Perioperative Checklist, and a Preoperative Care Plan adaptable to the individual patient, complete with areas that focus on nursing care and desired outcomes.
- Included the sections containing the latest information on advanced surgical modalities employing lasers, endoscopy, robotics, microsurgical techniques and instrumentation, the Harmonic® and Plasma® scalpels, the Argon beam coagulator®, and radiofrequency ablation.
- Updates the section on anesthesia and anesthetic drugs.
- Describes equipment and instrument trays, including pediatric trays.
- Provides charting/documentation of care to comply with medico legal requirements.
- Special Notes to alert the circulator and the scrub person to important information that may not necessarily be found elsewhere.
ISBN 10: 0803612265
ISBN 13: 9780803612266